Sunday, May 9, 2010

Access Linux partitions from windows

So I decided I wanted to access my Linux partitions safely from windows. After brief research I decided to take a unique approach and here is my solution.

Use VirtualBox, and mount my Linux hard disk from a Linux guest OS(ubuntu server). I then install CIFS(samba) and create a share to my Windows 7 install. The only drawback is I have to run a virtual machine, but in theory, it's safer then allowing Windows raw read/write access to my Linux partitions. Another issue is I must run VirtualBox as an administrator in order to read raw disks.

A few pointers
Run Cmd as admin (win7 type to run)
cmd
Ctrl+Shift+Enter (runs as admin)

VBoxManage.exe internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename C:\Users\myuser\.VirtualBox\HardDisks\sdc1.vmdk -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive1 -register

Then add that vmdk to your Linux VM. Also remember to run VirtualBox as an admin...

link properties->run as administrator.

No comments:

Post a Comment